We are committed to raising consumer understanding of the possible risks involved with balloons and balloon-related products in order to minimise injuries, illnesses and death. Please take a minute to read the entire page to ensure that you are aware of possible dangers and understand our guidance about how to prevent them.
Helium is a clean, non-inflammable, non-toxic gas. No ecosystem disruption is incurred by the use of helium. It can be used comfortably indoors or outdoors. Helium, however, is found in heavy, pressurised containers.
Under no circumstances never intentionally inhale helium.
Completely inflated balloons should not pose a risk to young children; however, burst balloons can be particularly harmful. After the balloon has exploded, throw away the pieces promptly. Children can be tempted to chew bits of latex or even spread them over their mouths to blow bubbles. There is a risk that the latex will be forced towards the mouth that will subsequently obstruct the airways.
CHOKING HAZARD: Children under 8 years of age can choke or suffocate on uninflated or broken balloons. Adult monitoring is required. Hold the children's balloons uninflated. Remove torn balloons at once.
Like other natural things people are allergic to such as bee stings and peanuts, latex can also cause allergic reactions ranging from minor skin irritation to anaphylaxis in a very small percentage of the population. However, latex allergy doesn’t have to mean missing out on the joy of balloons, there are now a number of non-latex balloon alternatives on the market such as foil balloons and plastic bubble balloons.
Balloon valves are inserted into the neck of latex balloons to create a seal without tying a knot. They are a great time and labour-saving device; however, being small and made of plastic, they can also present a choking hazard. Please discard immediately and responsibly when balloons have burst and do not allow children to play with an uninflated balloon fitted with a valve.
Many balloon sticks come in two pieces; a cup which the balloon attaches to and a stick which attaches to the cup. The cup is fairly small and may present a choking hazard should it become loose. If balloons are to be given to children on sticks, we recommend buying one-piece moulded balloon sticks.